[CQ-Contest] Results of Age Survey

K1AR at aol.com K1AR at aol.com
Mon Sep 28 10:09:39 PDT 2009

All,
You may recall about a month ago, based on a thread discussing contest
experience and age, that I would gather and analyze the information for you
based on an informal survey. What follows is a summary of the data that I
received over the past few weeks. Although not statistically valid, the
results are interesting at the very least. Enjoy!
73 John, K1AR
Total Responses: 160
US/VE – 122
DX – 38 (31 - Europe; 7 - Rest of  World)
Total Average Data:
Average Age - 52
Age First Licensed - 7
Age Started Contesting - 22
Years of Contest Experience - 29
US-only Data:
Average Age - 55
Age First Licensed - 16
Age Started Contesting - 23
Years of Contest Experience - 31
DX (all non-US) Data:
Average Age - 45
Age First Licensed - 18
Age Started Contesting -19
Years of Contest Experience - 25
Europe-only Data:
Average Age - 43
Age First Licensed - 18
Age Started Contesting - 19
Years of Contest Experience - 24
Other interesting  observations:
    *   Lots of non-US contesters started in club  stations, even before
they had their own personal callsigns.
    *   Field Day and the ARRL Novice Roundup were the  two operating
events that spawned interest in contesting for many survey  participants.
    *   The senior member of this group is Jim, W3CP,  who is 92 years
young. Cal, K0DXC, wins the youth prize at  14.
    *   There are quite a few contesters in this group  that got off to a
late start, often being a ham for decades before starting to  operate
contests.
    *   Although a small sample, it would seem that  European (and non-US
overall) contesters are indeed a younger group compared  to their US
counterparts.