[CQ-Contest] TS-850SAT -- interesting rig for contesting

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Fri Apr 2 08:11:44 PDT 2010

* On 2010 01 Apr 20:34 -0500, k8gt at mi.rr.com wrote:

> First, the TS850 that I bought used, had a serial number in the 50,000,000 range and was produced near the end of the run, and had the CAR board with the new 66312 DDS chips, not the old 6631's that would fail (there are 4 of them).

That must be the reason I had two fail on separate occasions, the first
about a month after I bought it and the second about six months later.
No longer trusting it and thinking it to be a lemon I traded it for my
FT-920 alomst ten years ago.  For those whp've not had the chips fail,
good luck and continued success.  But even if the chips had not failed,
once I tested the receivers of the '850 and my FT-890 side by side, the
'850 was on its way out of the shack anyway.

73, de Nate >>