[CQ-Contest] RDXC 24 hours M/M

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Apr 7 18:07:35 PDT 2010

Thing is, as 5B4AIZ said in his post:

> as a semi rare dx stn, I get a far greater number of ?'Not In Log' penalties due to the higher number of 'unique, or very low count casual op, ' callers than say RA3AUU. This is wasting time that?I could be spending working the RA3AUU's for valid points but it is time over which I have no control.

Participants aren't "equal".  An RX9T or RA3A will not be called in RDXC
by some of the non-combatants that will call a 5B (or, from my own
experience, a VR, XX or 9M6).  Non-combatants tend not to submit entries
or checklogs & in a contest like RDXC where a Q essentially only counts
if it was found in the other stations' logs, we
not-exactly-garden-variety DX suffer.

Indeed, looking at the 2009 RDXC results for SOAB mixed mode, of the top
50 scores the average reduction in claimed-to-final Qs was 7.1%.  All
but one of the not-exactly-garden-variety DX entrants have lost more Qs
than average (5B4AII 9.5%, EA8EW 6.5%, V47NT 8.7%, E7/YT9A 8%).  Of
these top 50 entries, 29 had less than the average reduction in
claimed-to-final Qs.

This of course is the reduction in claimed-to-final Qs for all reasons &
there are entries with higher reductions in claimed-to-final Qs where
the non-combatant is less likely to call because of "DXness" (highest
reductions: 9A1UN 12.2%, NN3W 11.8%, YT1AD 10.5%, OH8X 10.1%, 4O3A 10.1%).

But it does seem to support 5B4AIZ's (and my) feeling -
not-exactly-garden-variety DX is at a disadvantage in contests where
adjudication is based entirely on submitted entries.

As for getting dinged for the other guy not correctly logging the
exchange you sent him, repeating the exchange received is a technique I
associate with lists & VHF types - I consider it a bit naff & I am
perhaps a bit of an OT now, thinking that others might, like I do, ask
for a repeat if they are not sure of what had been copied.  I find it
odd, seeing how both sides logging the exchange correctly is checked in
this contest, that the results do not include highest-busted-exchange
listings so we know who to give a miss in future.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.