[CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Apr 13 13:49:36 PDT 2010

I'm frankly confused.  Almost all the major contests have non-assisted
categories where any sort of spotting network assistance is not allowed
and no real-time internet connection is required, and some contests do
not allow it for ANY of their categories.  Those who want to operate in
"pure fashion" using only their radio (plus, of course, their memory
keyers, SCP help files, call history files, CW decoders, etc) are free
to do so.  In essence, these contests have "no wires" categories that
preserve the sanctity of radio as you see it (sarcasm intended), while
allowing "wired" assistance for other categories.  In truth, though, the
most prestigious categories still tend to be the unassisted ones and for
some major contests the assisted categories get relegated to the end of
the score listings, so I'm having a real hard time perceiving the damage
to the hobby that you and Paul seem to do.

So exactly how do these other technologies undermine the hobby?  And how
is their use in any way illegitimate?  Please be specific.  It seems to
me that their only crime is being different than what you or Paul prefer
to do.  I can think of all sorts of competitive events where multiple
categories with different levels of assistance or technology are run
simultaneously ... why is radiosport any different?

I personally prefer to operate unassisted, but I see no less legitimacy
for those who choose to operate differently as long as they adhere to
the rules for the category they claim.

Dave   AB7E