[CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

Alfred Frugoli ke1fo at arrl.net
Thu Apr 15 10:02:09 PDT 2010

There seems to be this general sense that if you've got a list of stations
that have been spotted (skimmed), you just click and hit the fkey that sends
your call and you're done.

Even if I narrow spots to only show me things spotted from within the USA
"1" call area, I can only hearhalf of those stations from my pee-shooter
station. And half the ones I can hear, I have no chance of breaking the
packet induced pileup from my pee-shooter station.

I feel that the set of skills is different, not non-existent.  You still
need to understand propagation, how to best use your station during
different propagation conditions, you need to decide which pile ups to
fight, and which ones to walk away from.

Yes, it changes things.  However, looking at how is Amateur Radio contesting
relevant in today's world, I think this melding with technology and the
internet is not necessarily a bad thing.  With so much information being
thrown at us every day, knowing which information is valid to each of us
personally is a VERY important skill.

73 de Al, KE1FO

K3 #3055
K3 #4094