[CQ-Contest] Skimmer/Packet/Internet Spotting Affects Everyone

steve.root at culligan4water.com steve.root at culligan4water.com
Sun Apr 18 06:49:51 PDT 2010

The problem I have with this “progress” is that you really can’t avoid it.You are going to be directly affected by Skimmer/Packet/Internet spotting any time you’re participating in a contest.Some have said that you can choose to be assisted or not; I think it isn’t that simple.Spotting negatively affects you in four ways:
1)Packet pileups.If you find DX on your own, there is a very good possibility that it was spotted recently or soon will be.The ensuing pileup may be insurmountable especially if you’re competing with stations that have much better propagation.Think CQWW.In this case the use of Packet has a direct and negative impact on your score.
2)Unequal Spotting Rates.Allow me to use the Dakota Division as an example.There are two relatively rare sections and one very common section.Even if stations in North Dakota and a station in Minnesota are operating unassisted, who do you think will be spotted more persistently?The station in Minnesota isn’t getting the same “benefit” from this technology.This is true whether they are operating assisted or not.
3)Loss of DXpedition Activity.The adverse affects of spotting on rare DX operations has been reported by at least three operators in recent weeks (G3SXW, KM0O, K9NW).All three report the same thing, Packet pileups being so unruly that it seriously hinders their ability to operate and enjoy the contest.One of the things that makes a contest like CQWW so interesting is the rare and exotic DX that shows up.This desirable activity is declining as a direct result of “new technology”.
4)Broken spots.If you have a run going and someone spots your call incorrectly, it’s almost impossible to get the dupes calling you to understand that they should be listening to the CW you’re sending and not only reading their computer screens.On occasion it is necessary to abandon a good run frequency and move just to get away the packet misinformed callers.
The simple fact is that skimmers and reverse beacon networks and Internet spotting affects everybody whether they like it or not.It’s up to the individual how to deal with this reality; I don’t see it ever going away.
73 Steve K0SR