[CQ-Contest] DX Cluster Experience in Contests?

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sun Apr 18 17:03:39 PDT 2010

Did anyone see "N8Q" on any of the DX clusters yesterday?  I was
operating during the Michigan QSO Party from NEWAygo County, QRP.
NEWAygo hadn't shown up as a fixed station in the recently recorded
history of the contest, so I set up portable at a township park
overlooking the Muskegon River.  Antenna wasn't great - a wire up 40
feet, so I was pleasantly surprized with some of the "runs" on 80 CW and
75 Phone - especially 75 phone.  I'd call CQ for a while, and then
several stations would seem to "pounce" on me, two or three at a time,
sometimes right on top of each other so I could barely get a part of a call.

I had advertised that I'd be QRP because I thought I needed to operate
with battery power.  When I looked the place over whilst setting up I
noted a covered electrical distribution box, which could be accessed
from below the wood skirting, so I hooked into 110VAC, but decided to
keep my promise to operate QRP!

It was fun - thought I'd have lot more trouble, made over 20 Q's per
hour with a mediocre portable contest station!  Who'd ever think a QRP
station could make a run on 75 phone in the evening hours!

73 de n8xx Hg