[CQ-Contest] [OKDXA] Best callsign letters

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 09:08:32 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:08, John Geiger <aa5jg at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anyone done a study (or have ancetodal evidence) about which letters (using standard phonetics) get through best on SSB during pileups or marginal/weak conditions?  For example, I though "j" would be decent letter but many people seem to hear "Juliet" as "India".  Don't know why they make that confusion, but they do.  So, which letters are best recognized and less confused?

I have anecdotal evidence that November 5 works OK, but that Uniform
Whiskey Yankee doesn't.  I usually alternate Yankee with Yokohama and
that seems to work.  Also, Under Water Yagi seems to work.  :-)

Part of the problem, IMHO, is that folks type N 5 U W into their log
program and the cheat file comes up with Cliff's call and they think
that's it,  During a recent SSB NAQP I've even had an op ask me to
repeat my name and say "is it Cliff, Cliff?".  No, bozo, it's Peter!
Stop using cheat files!!!