[CQ-Contest] Best callsign letters

Alan Leith aleith at syd.eastlink.ca
Sat Apr 24 10:26:33 PDT 2010

As far as I know, it has not changed.  US amateurs operating within the US
or its territories sign call/location.  Foreigners, except Canadians, sign
location/call.  Canadians operating in the US sign call/location, just as
US citizens operating in Canada sign call/location.

The use of the prefix/call follows international rules that I think were
introduced in the late 70s (I'm probably wrong) and I must say that I was
quite indignant for many years after that.  Now, I'm used to it and it
doesn't bother me.  What does bother me, on the other hand, is US and
Canadian hams not knowing the regulations.

Also, I am constantly marvelling at the absolute inanity of European
regulations that require /P after a call, as in MM/VE1AL/P.  Isn't it
abundantly obvious that I'm operating portable in Scotland if I use MM
portable (or) stroke VE1AL to identify myself?   And if I were operating
mobile in Leith I would expect to sign MM/VE1AL/M.  However, if DL7XYZ is
operating from a German island on holiday then I'd expect a /P identifier.
If the same guy is operating from a Danish Island then OZ/DL7XYZ is
sufficient.

What a confusing life we lead!!!

73

Al, VE1AL