[CQ-Contest] From VO1DD re Interference with emergency traffic

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Wed Dec 1 16:51:03 PST 2010

*In the USA*, a specific section of Part 97 reads:

          § 97.403   Safety of life and protection of property.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of
any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential
communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human
life and immediate protection of property when normal communication
systems are not available.

          § 97.405   Station in distress.

(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station
in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make
known its condition and location, and obtain assistance.

(b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the
exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this section, of
any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in
distress.

Basically, *for the US ham*, this is carte blance authority to establish
a communication link BY ANY MEANS AT ITS DISPOSAL. If I was on a sinking
ship (and foolish enough to have amateur radio as my only communication
capability), I would be operating *outside *14.000 ~ 14.350 MHz if my
life threatening disaster occurred during the world's most popular radio
hobby weekend.

I spent some time looking through Industry Canada's regulations but
could not find any section dealing with emergency situations or
relaxation of their RF spectrum management rules. Maybe I missed it.
Whether it's in the rules or not, a bureaucratic process is really
irrelevant.

My point is that just because there are white lines defining the traffic
lanes on a highway, if I see an impending life threatening situation (a
truck coming head-on toward me), those white lines will loose all
meaning to me. I will seek an alternate path to save my life.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN