[CQ-Contest] cqww cw spotting report

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Thu Dec 2 07:21:36 PST 2010

On 02/12/2010 14:12, k3mm at verizon.net wrote:

> Who is self spotting?  Skimmer automatically filters out the home call

I was referring to the RBN, not Skimmer.  Anyone who calls CQ
on-air is self-spotting on the RBN - that's partly my point.

It's generally considered OK to call CQ on-air, especially
in contests.  However, when parallel wired communications
systems are used while contesting, it's not OK to do the
equivalent - self-spot.

Technology is fun - it seems a pity not to use it to its
fullest extent.  Contest loggers should have an option to
self-spot after every QSO, while running.

My main point, however, is that the RBN will do away
with cluster within a short time - the trend is clear
as K1TTT has shown

     "Total spots in database 56773... kind of puny when
     compared with the 1.7M spots on the RBN though."

Before long, the only efficient and democratic option to
ensure that you are spotted will be to call CQ on-air.

73,
Paul EI5DI