[CQ-Contest] 1st legal limit amplifier

Charles Morrison cmorrison at lusfiber.net
Sat Dec 18 13:23:53 PST 2010

> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:08:50 -0800
> From: Timothy Coker <n6win73 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [CQ-Contest] 1st legal limit amplifier
> To: SCCC <sccc at contesting.com>, CQ Contest <cq-contest at contesting.com>
>
> Is anyone willing to share with me their experiences with their
> amplifier that they are using for contesting? My main HP contest
> interest is the California QSO Party, CQ WW WPX, and ARRL DX. I have a
> lesser interest in working DX through the week for all time new ones
> or new band/entities. During contests that I am not serious about I
> will S&P Assisted using point and click on packet/skimmer spots to
> hand out the points.

Tim,

Very pleased with my 2 tube Alpha 99.  65watts drive produces 1500W output
no problem.  Automatic circuits seem to protect just about everything on
here from overdrive to mistune.  Tubes have been in use for a number of
years now, but are still available at a semi-reasonable price.  Used, these
amps are available for around $3k.  Gotta love Alpha's Brick on the Key.

Charlie
Ki5xp