[CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer

Craig D. Smith craig at powersmith.net
Fri Dec 24 10:22:29 PST 2010

I don't usually contribute to contest rule change controversies - I just
enter low power non-assisted and take my lumps as they come.

This one is more bothersome, however.  NAQP was one of my favorite contests.
With the 100 W power limit, the domestic focus and the 10/12 hour format, it
was a contest where a puny station such as mine could feel semi-competitive
and have a lot of fun without huge investments of money and time.  Now this
is changing.  In addition to putting up antennas that will be somewhat
efficient on 5 or 6 bands, we now need to buy a SDR, software and a
broadband antenna and set up computer interfaces and possibly an additional
monitor to handle CW Skimmer.  I'm sorry, but the hassle factor is just
becoming too large for this contest.

73 & Happy Holidays   Craig  AC0DS