[CQ-Contest] wide-band cw decoding: the heart of the problem

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Sat Dec 25 06:54:37 PST 2010

The heart of the problem, for those that see a problem, is that this is a moving target.

We learned second-hand that VE3EJ had a proposed definition which at least one other
VE seems to like.

But IMHO that does not work at all.

So what about using a "skimmer-like" technology (apologies to K1TTT for using this term), that
does NOT give you the callsign but DOES look at your log and flags ALL NEW MULTS.  Maybe
a star or RED or something.  No callsign (you still have to copy that yourself), but a positive,
for sure indication that YOU NEED THIS ONE.

Or in SS, how about not only mults, but new QSOs..."You still need to work this guy" flag.  You
don't get his callsign, but you do get the alert.

For the purists out there (include me), if you want to regulate this, you had better think hard
and project very far out of the "usual" box.

So many shades of gray and even more opinions.

Season's Greeting to all and may 2011 bring us improved band conditions (if we could keep the
CQWW CW low band condition coupled with some real action on 10m, we'd be cookin' !!)

de Doug KR2Q