[CQ-Contest] Rookie Roundup - web v. print

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Fri Feb 12 06:04:17 PST 2010

     I notice a couple of discrepancies between the online rules for the ARRL
Rookie Roundup and the contest announcement in Sean KX9X's column in March QST
(p. 77).

Eligibility:
  Print: licensed 2 years or less
  Web: licensed 3 years or less

Log submissions:
  Print: "100% real-time contact logging, scoring, and adjudication"
  Web: Logs submitted in Cabrillo format via the Internet within 48 hours

Should we assume that the web version represents the most-recent and
most-accurate version of the rules?

Also, I notice that the web version "formula" for the CW contest date
could result in conflicts with the ARRL 10 Meter Contest on those years
when December 1 is a Saturday.  Normally, the ARRL 160 Meter contest is the
first weekend and the ARRL 10 Meter Contest is the second weekend, but
because the ARRL 160 Meter Contest actually starts on Friday, the ARRL has
in the past scheduled it for December 7-8-9, whcih is the first Friday in
December, but actually the second weekend.  As a result, this moved the
ARRL 10 Meter contest back to December 15-16, which is actually the third
full weekend of December in those years.  This Rookie Roundup date will
only work if (a) the ARRL stops scheduling the ARRL 160 Meter Contest on
December 7-8-9, but instead uses the Nov 30-Dec 1-2 option consistently,
(b) is willing to confuse rookies by pushing the contest to the fourth
weekend, December 22-23, every seven years or so, or (c) doesn't mind the
overlap with the ARRL 10 Meter Contest.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com