[CQ-Contest] Rookie Contest

Bob AD5VJ rtnmi at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 13 07:02:14 PST 2010

Hi John

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have read where this is an attempt
to keep unscrupulous contesters from spending a lot of time manipulating
their logs (which is understandable).

The other argument I have heard is that the logs ever so slowly dribble in
leaving the contest log coordinators waiting an unusually unnecessary time
until the last log comes in.

I agree that a month seems like an awfully long time under today's standards
and technology. Originally, I am sure you remember, it was 30 days because
you had to use manual dupe sheets - dupe out the log(s) and recheck the dupe
sheets. You had a second and third contester in your group double and triple
check all of that to insure the logs submitted were accurate before
submission.

Today the software we use does all that within minutes or even seconds (in
my case HIHI). Even if we use paper logs we can always do some data entry
into an application that will do the hard part then print it out for
submission.

73,
Bob AD5VJ