[CQ-Contest] ARRL Rookie Contest

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Sun Feb 14 04:58:43 PST 2010

* On 2010 13 Feb 21:48 -0600, Idle-Tyme wrote:
> I've been cob=ntesting for since 75,
>
> and the last years WI QSO Party was my first entry using a computer to
> log and submit my entry.

And I've been using a computer logger of some sort for every contesting
event ever since my second Field Day participation in 1987.  What's
your point?

> Now here is someone that has been contesting for a LONG time and with
> that rule, i would have been disqyualified,  for it took me a LOT longer
> to figure out how to make the cabrillo log , and send it to the correct
> location.

We should not straight-jacket the new contest based on our veteran
issues.  I say that we should allow this contest to evolve based on the
feedback received from the participants and those who found it
difficult to participate.  My guess is that some changes will be made
before the second running of this event.  If the submission deadline
proves to be too short, it will be lengthened.  If Internet logging
proves too ornerous, it will be modified, and so on.  I recognize that
this is an event that is not aimed at me, so what I want in a contest
isn't important here.

Let's allow the hams this event is designed for determine if the rules
and format are appropriate for their event.  If and when requested, we
can provide our feedback as well, but I'm optimistic enough to not
pronounce it DOA before it ever has a chance.

73, de Nate >>