[CQ-Contest] Computer Controlled Rigs.

R Johnson k1vu at tmlp.com
Sun Feb 21 17:15:02 PST 2010

Mal:
I'll take exception to your remarks on ICOM Rigs.

All you need is a different type of cable.

For RIGS using RS-232 Serial connections, you need to buy or build the
cable with the correct wiring, pin-outs, and connector sex.

ICOM and Radio Shack use a 2 wire Serial bus.
You can buy a USB to CI-V Serial cable on EBAY for about $10 delivered.
Or you could buy the RS cable for about $30 at your local RS.

This is truly "Plug and Play". Just plug the USB conn. into a USB port on
your computer and plug the Mini Jack into the CI-V port on the ICOM rig.
That's it, DONE!

All the local ICOM owners are using the $10 EBAY version to do computer control.

73
Bob, K1VU