[CQ-Contest] CQ TEST or CQ DX

Ryan Jairam rjairam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 06:32:48 PST 2010

Well, I don't think that's the problem. I've had stateside stations
call me even when I call "CQ DX."  Maybe they want to confirm the
state or county, or simply just want to work me for some other reason.

I just work 'em and move on.

If I get a pileup of stateside when I call CQ DX then I have a
problem, and I'll politely say something like, "Gentlemen, I am
calling CQ DX, please do not answer if you are not DX."  or on CW "PSE
DX ONLY TU". But I have never had that problem since most people honor
directional CQs.

Ryan, N2RJ

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Ward Silver <hwardsil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Part of the reason US stations call is that we are calling "CQ TEST", not "CQ DX".  95% of the time, somebody calling "CQ TEST" is perfectly happy to get a contact from anywhere, including same-country stations.  I'm not suggesting anybody change the way they call CQ, just pointing out that from the call it is not intuitively obvious that only DX stations are being sought.  Work 'em and move on - if you log them, fine.  If you are getting a lot of them, then maybe calling CQ DX would be a good strategy.
>
> 73, Ward N0AX (thanks to our DX friends for great fun at K3LR)

Ryan A. Jairam,