[CQ-Contest] RX Heresy?

Chris Plumblee chris.plumblee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 12:38:50 PST 2010

K5RC wrote something addressing this in NCJ at some point in the
relatively recent past. I don't recall the details exactly, but the
title was something like "The Next 3db." The thesis of the article was
that, as your station improves, the cost and complexity of a 3db
improvement rises exponentially.

So, you go from a single vertical or wire antenna to a tribander on a
low tower. Then you add a 500w amp. Then you add a 1500w amp. Then you
add a few tower sections until your tribander is at a respectable
(100'+) height. Then you stack another tribander. Then you add another
tower and put up some monobanders. Then you change your feedline for
heliax. Then you put up larger monobanders and a Big Bertha. Then Big
Berthas on every band.

The first few improvements above are real 3db improvements and are
comparatively inexpensive, but that probably stops at a 1500w amp and
tribander. The rest of the improvements are infinitely more complex
and expensive for very small returns (compared to moving from a wire
antenna to a tribander, for instance).

I put improvements inside the shack in the latter category.
Improvements at a superstation (like N3HBX, for example) are hard to
come by and expensive. If a K3 allows a given operator to make 10 more
QSOs in CQWW than his old FT-1000, even though the old radio is
perfectly good and is paid for, the lure of those extra QSOs is
strong.

I'm sure any of the big multi-op or single-op station owners in the
USA could easily spend $10,000 and the entire summer improving aspects
of their station with which they're less than satisfied, and
potentially make a few dozen more QSOs than they might otherwise have
in the 2010 CQWW. However, if you could spend $6,000 (on a pair of
K3s) and virtually no time, and make perhaps 10-20 more QSOs in the
next contest, why not? At some point in the evolution of a contest
station, improvements in ergonomics and technology are the only cost-
and time-effective improvements than can be made.

73,
Chris WF3C

Message: 3