[CQ-Contest] RX Heresy? - Key Clicks

Edward Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sun Feb 28 04:44:55 PST 2010

On 27th February, Tom wrote:

"...You might be right on that. Some others have mentioned the fact that you
can 'get within 200 cycles' of another station and just keep on operating.
What it that other station has a 400 or 500 cycle filter in HIS radio. Is
 he supposed to just move and find another spot to operate? May be quit
contesting because his radio is now inadequate?"

*********************************

Hi Tom,

Try doing even just some casual CW operating on 160-meters, & by times
experience the very same "phenomenon"!

More than once I've been parked on a frequency at the lower end of the band
calling CQ, when all of a sudden, out of the blue---and on an otherwise
sparsely-occupied band---one of the proverbial Topband "big gun" stations
will saddle practically right up on top of me with a long, slow, "CQ DX", as
if I wasn't even there...

I can only surmise that most (if not all) of these types have been blessed
with the financial wherewithall to buy themselves K3 rigs, replete with all
of the trimmings...good for them. Too bad, though, that some (apparently)
never learned to listen, or to send "QRL?" before activating their
pre-programmed automated keyers into "play" mode...

I guess, in the final analysis, people will do what they do, simply because
"...they can," Hi Hi...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ