[CQ-Contest] Log checking - conflicting bands in submitted logs

David Levine david at levinecentral.com
Tue Jan 5 08:10:53 PST 2010

I have a general question related to something specific that occurred in the
RTTY Round-Up contest this past weekend. My log has already been submitted
and nothing will be changed. This is a just a question in hopes of better
understanding how things get validated. Here's the set up info:

I noticed on eQSL that I didn't have a match for a contact from this
weekends contest. I looked it up and the call/date/time match but the band
is different - 40 vs 80. So I rejected the contact on the eQSL site and
indicated that the band was wrong and they should check their log. The
person very quickly replied back that it couldn't be wrong because it was in
the middle of a 100+ Q run.

So I check things on my end further and for the call immediately preceding
and immediately after this one in question, they are both on 80m on my end
and both already confirmed on LoTW. So I'm 99% sure I'm correct that the
call in question is accurate on my end and was made on 80m and something
happened with the op on the other end as I wasn't switching bands back and
forth and was on 80m for 90 mins or so at that time.

So my question is, assuming the contest log checking program cares about the
band at all, which I imagine it might, what happens if 2 conflicting log
entries exist when it tries to match them up? Do both people get a NIL? Does
it try and figure out which band is correct and how could it do that
accurately?

Thanks for any help in understanding the process.
K2DSL - David