[CQ-Contest] K3 Kult

James Cain jamesdavidcain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 11:07:20 PST 2010

John:

Accidentally activating TX TEST is part of your initiation into the K3 Kult. Once you have succumbed to all the other built-in initiation "features" in the radio, you will get a message on screen with further instructions regarding a Road Trip. I cannot divulge more except that nakedness and Ten-Tec Orion encoder grease are involved.

At the risk of canings by the Brothers, I will tell you to beware of attempting to operate the K3 on FM. Should you choose to ignore this warning, your radio will switch to LID MODE and you will be forever relegated to saying things like "Best 73's"  and "Back to you," and to receiving CW only by reading it off the screen. You will have a sudden, overwhelming urge to begin publicly demanding that Elecraft offer a "K3 Stereo Power Speaker." You will not understand why you have this urge. It is not for you (or me) to know.

Once activated, LID MODE is not reversible.

Your K3 serial number is not, I repeat not, your Kult Membership Number! When you have completed your initiation rites, the secret handshake will be revealed to you and you will receive your Membership Number. The Kult is nearing its membership limit, so I suggest you proceed apace. Otherwise, you will have to wait until a Kult Member dies and frees up a slot.

Good luck and best 73's. Back to you,

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation