[CQ-Contest] K3 Kult

K6VVA - The Locust locustqrv at k6vva.com
Wed Jan 27 00:12:18 PST 2010

Jack, W6FB, wrote:

>Actually, the initiation right you will enjoy best involves using the
Wouff-Hong on hams who don't own a K3, but still want to complain about
it...
>It is especially enjoyable when applied to a certain fellow 6-lander... ;-)
:-) :-)
>(And friend, whom I like to kid, in case anyone is concerned...)
>
>Jack Brindle, W6FB
>
>So, Locust, why don't you own one?

HA!  I was not complaining, but rather offering a solution!  Although I
think half of our fellow NCCC members now own at least one K3 (and many have
2 of 'em), I'm still unwilling to give up being able to tune the actual VFO
dial, fondle the knobs and push the buttons on my two TS-480 display control
panels side-by-side at the Home QTH remote control point.  If a K4 or K5
comes out with a detachable panel (or separate panel clone), then it might
be a different ballgame.

As more Contesters will be going remote from here on out for one reason or
another, I encourage all TXRX manufacturers to E-X-P-A-N-D their vision to
at least include a separate display/knob/button panel for the control
operator end of the remote food chain.  This will enable one to still
experience that THRILLING good old hands-on feel of actually operating a
real radio vs. using a mouse and computer software.  Griffin Power Knobs and
external video editing type control pads may fill in some gaps, but they
ain't radios !!!

73.

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust
Advocate for retaining the feel of a real radio in remote station control