[CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX lu5dx at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 10:15:58 PDT 2010

Howdy Jim!

I really understand your position. Not only because it comes from the person
that means to me what KH6IJ meant to you, but also because of  your personal
experience from the DX end of the pile up from so many different places
throughout so many years.

I started using the dx clusters in 2003.  I'm a computer guy myself and I simply
 love i'net technology. Nevertheless, I must totally agree that this
technologies changed amateur radio contesting impacting negatively in many ways,
and in some ways they impacted in a positive manner.

Again, don't get me wrong, I use dx cluster and I love the band map populating
more and more in N1MM logger.

The negative impacts to me are as follow:

1. The most important is: cheaters using the cluster and claiming themselves
being single ops when they send their logs. Hard to detect, even with the
implementation recently designed  algorithms.
2. It generates quite a bit of wrongly spotted callsigns thus increasing the
chances of dupes calling you thinking you are someone else. People in the
assisted category really need to pay attention and listen, not just send out the
call and exchange and promptly click on the next available spot in the band map.
3. It certainly diminishes the skills to search and pounce the old fashioned
way.

The philosophical aspect of it.

Is it real radio, real contesting, real DXing? Certainly not, if we consider the
paradigms of ham radio operation must remain the same throughout time.
Is it good for contesting in terms of attracting casual operators and helping
the club score grow bigger? I believe yes.
Is it challenging? It depends on the perspective from which you look at it.
Stations in the assisted category are always well below the scores of regular
single ops. In my case It's a challenge to see how close (or far) I can come
respect to the plain single ops in my area. Or even from multi single stations.

Fact is,  not only Single ops use clusters, MS, M2 and MM do it too.
Furthermore, now MS, M2 and MM are using skimmers maximize their scores.
But to me,  the main problem is the distinction between single op and single op
assisted for both single band and all band categories.

I've been proposing for the past ten years that this distinction needs to be
eliminated and the use of packet should be incorporated to a single category
called single op.

Those who like to use packet will be able to do so. Those who don't like it
because they make bigger scores not using it, can continue to operate without
it. The important thing is: EVERYONE will be playing by the same rules. And the
use of this technology will be just a matter of likes and dislikes.  A little
asterisk right next to the entrant’s callsign in the results will indicate the
use of  DX spots. The packet cheating issue will be resolved for good.

I know people who don't like this idea bring to attention several other ways of
cheating in our hobby, but we are not talking about those, in this case we are
talking about the use of packet, telnet, web clusters, or even DX alerts made by
friends on VHF.! And consequently,  adapting the rules to what it is nowadays in
an attempts to  eliminate a distinction of single op categories, based on
something that is hardly detected.

The use of packet in amateur radio contests is  recurring thread.  Hope someday
the contests committees do something about it. And if they don’t at least they
publicly acknowledge at least this is being discussed.

One thing is for sure, in WPX contests the use of packet is not something to
recommend. I compared a couple of entries o’mine to others from my area and I
would have made bigger scores without dx spots distracting my focus to run run
and run.

I also recall IARU 2007. Where no packet is allowed for single ops. I really
used the second RX to chase mults during the 24 hour period a whole lot. Only to
find some single op stations worked monstrous amounts of mults, even more than
MS stations and even more than several HQs!!!!!!

Hope somebody does something to eliminate this.  There is already a good example
of a major contest not making the single op distinction based on the packet
usage WAEDC. At least in that one, regarding this topic, I know for sure we all
play by the same rules.

Very best of best regards to you Jim. Hope we can meet again sometime soon.

Martin, LU5DX
www.5bits.net/lu5dx
http://lu5dx.blogspot.com

[CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFEJim Neiger n6tj at sbcglobal.net