[CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

Sandy Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Sat Jul 17 15:16:17 PDT 2010

It is easy for non-DX stations to assume that being spotted increases your
rate. It does, but only until the number of calling stations becomes so
large that you're left with a solid wall of CW tone 10 khz wide,
particularly when you're sexy enough or loud enough to not need cluster to
get as many stations as you can handle.

What happens then is that the people whose calls you DO pick out can't hear
you (because a not insignificant number of these packet ops are LIDS who
don't shut up long enough to listen), or you can't hear their reply or you
can't really distinguish anyone from the wall of noise.

If you are stateside and a spot takes your rate from 80 per hour to 100 per
hour after a spot, it is a good thing for you. But if you're DX and a spot
takes your rate from 250 per hour to 100, how has that helped?

The problem with Jim's dupes isn't just that they waste time (if that was
all it was, it wouldn't be so bad). It's that they also add unnecessary
pollution to your listening frequency.

The genie isn't going back in the bottle. But at times, it would be nice to
be able to opt out of the so-called "benefits" of being spotted. I'm just
sayin'...

When I'm at home in SS and my pipsqueak signal isn't attracting attention, I
love being spotted. But when I was in Jamaica and running a dream pileup
(pre-spot), being spotted was absolute disaster. Half the ops were still
looking for Jamaica and half the ops were desperate to snag China. (I wonder
how many QSLs BY1V gets that are really busts?)

73, kelly
Ve4xt