[CQ-Contest] Age related problems in FT1000?

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 17:46:07 PDT 2010

Hi John

Another common fault with the 1000 is with the bearings in the VFO
when used in a contest setting.  Consider for a moment what a "well
loved" radio goes through.  After a few years, the bearings in the VFO
go, and the VFO does not work as well as it once did. I should add -
this not only happens to the FT-1000, but a few other radios as well.
I have read a few comments on 3830 about this issue, and saw it first
hand at a multi-multi I visited.

While the 1000 is a great contest radio as you pointed out, 20 years
of constantly spinning the dial takes its toll...

Tom - VE3CX