[CQ-Contest] IRCs, a "lighter topic"...

David Levine david at levinecentral.com
Wed Jul 28 04:04:15 PDT 2010

My local post office (town of 10,000) doesn't seem to know what to do for
selling or bringing one in that I received. A larger PO 2 towns away sells
them and usually 1 person there knows what to do when I hand them an IRC.

http://www.n6hb.org/s-a/irc.htm is a site with some info. The bottom section
of the page seems to indicate what a postal clerk needs to do if you're
bringing in an IRC for an outgoing letter. I think they do nothing more then
take the IRC and end up putting on a 98 cent international stamp. The IRC
seems to be more like a 98 cent money order to them. Maybe next time I
receive an IRC I need to use, I will print out the instructions at the
bottom of that page and bring it with me to my local PO. I'll see if they
know what to do and if the instructions are accurate for the system they use
today.

As for attaching an IRC to a letter and dropping it in a corner mailbox, I
wouldn't think that is a good idea. If the IRC gets detached or the postal
worker is confused, it might get discarded or left in a pile for a long
time.

David - K2DSL