[CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests - a contrarian opinion

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue Jun 1 15:02:21 PDT 2010

Paul:

The answer to your question is "Yup, A1A and its variants are 'just
another data mode.'"

The US Regulations, promulgated under the authority of the Federal
Communications Commissions, has, in the definitions area of part 97 "1)
CW. International Morse code telegraphy emissions having designators
with A, C, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1 as the second symbol; A or B
as the third symbol; and emissions J2A and J2B".   I'd wager that most
other countries, including the Ireland, has a similar designation.

Note that there is nothing about how it is encoded nor decoded in the
regulations defining the mode.

That it may be decoded by the vacuum (or grey matter) between a human's
ears is immaterial to the mode.

Note that Samuel F. B. Morse, who invented the original Morse Code, used
a mechanical reader initially.

Does this answer your question?

73 de n8xx Hg.