[CQ-Contest] AO8HQ vs DA0HQ - ARRL did the worse in two decisions

vk4ti at yahoo.com vk4ti at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 15:22:19 PDT 2010

José it is a very difficult concept to grasp - The contest committee and damned if they do and damned if they don't.
We must assume that DA0HQ operators operated with honor - that is what we expect of all contesters - it is part of the joys and frailty of contests.. so whether others operated outside the rules, is not for the station operator to gauge. (same argument applies to out of band operating by others)
If you are called by XX1XX and you log XX1XX and they are a fake what should the contest committee do ? Should they disallow the contact ??
You personally worked XX1XX - that is in your log - a valid QSO took place but what if it was a pirate and no log submitted ?? A very frustrating scenario...
With PC generated logs has the time come that QSOs are only counted if the other party submits a log ? No !  that is too big a change...
>From VK we have a great number of 001 QSOs and lots of spots from operators telling us we are a new band QSO for them - yet the majority would hardly submit a log for one QSO..
So it comes back to a basic principal of contesting and one that you are alluding to - the honor of the individual operators....unless we accept that this is paramount then there is no future for contesting...
While log checking allows others to find irregularities we MUST assume the operators are innocent until proven guilty..
In the case of AO8HQ and DA0HQ I can not believe that either party operated without honor however others unrelated to them may have done so...and if thats the case then DA0HQ should be the winners end of story.
Really is this any difference to a USA or EU dx-pedition only working their own call areas ?? After all we all like to support our friends and comrades..
Regards
Trent VK4TI