[CQ-Contest] IARU 2010 changes of rules

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 11 13:12:53 PDT 2010

The real question is whether the Log checking program can properly check the
logs submitted by
HQ stations.  The answer is YES.

I spent 25 years on the CQ 160 Contests helping to develop the log checking
programs and techniques.  The problem develops in that many who work a HQ
station are unique.  But as I found in the CQ 160 once that station made a
contact they went on to work a few more (sometimes to actually enter a log).
Once a few additional contacts are made that station no longer is a unique.
I can't speak for the IARU but real uniques were rare on 160 so anyone that
worked more than a certain % of uniques became suspect.

It is easy to set the unique % at some figure (say 10%) that throws the log
into the exception report.
The only real question is what value of unique trips the exception report
and what value make the log be disqualified or at the very least start
reducing the score.  This is what the CQ 160 called unverified uniques.
This has to exceed all reasonable levels to gain that label.

There should be enough logs submitted to score the logs for NIL and busted.

73 Dave K4JRB