[CQ-Contest] public logs (there are no secrets)

Julius Fazekas phriendly1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 04:53:30 PDT 2010

One of the nice things about public logs is that it provides a learning opportunity, particularly for new contesters. You can look and see who was being worked when you had a NIL with the particular station, see if there was propagation to your area, or if the station was running a completely different part of the world. Maybe you'll see a similar call suffix...

If someone is serious about improving their contest skills, these are helpful clues. "I need to listen better." probably is one of the better lessons learned from public logs.

Maybe I'm naive, but it seems to me that such a small fraction of hams blatantly cheat or are paranoid about privacy, and yet this topic rears it's head over and over and over and over and over and over, with only previously entrenched positions. Seriously, if you don't like the rules of a particular contest, just don't send your log in. You can still play, folks will know you were there, you'll have fun on the air and life can continue in peace.

And yes, this is just an opinion...

73,
Julius Fazekas
N2WN