[CQ-Contest] Field Day class question

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Sun Jun 27 12:45:21 PDT 2010

* On 2010 27 Jun 14:32 -0500, KI9A at aol.com wrote:
> Guys-
>
> Who makes the rules for FD? is it the CAC?

I'm not sure, although I'd bet the ARRL contest administrator has a say.

> If the ARRL let the 1A class use either a GOTA, or a VHF station, that
> would really increase participation, or, am I dreaming?

You're not dreaming.  Our club is quite small, and, yes, we're aging and
we've never been able to field enough ops to keep two stations going let
alone the bonus stations, so we operate 1A.  However, I would like the
idea of being able to field a VHF/UHF station as a 1A as, especially
around these parts, rates would be low but perhaps new interest would be
generated in VHF/UHF as it is very low around here despite many hams
having all mode HF/6m/2m/70cm rigs.

> All in all, WHY did they remove it? Seems like a dumb idea to me!

Good question.

73, de Nate >>