[CQ-Contest] CQ 160 SSB out-of-band operation

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Mon Mar 1 19:33:58 PST 2010

http://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=524:cqww-160-band-segment-violations&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

"CQWW 160m band segment violations
Written by Hans PB2T
Monday, 01 March 2010 16:32

It was disappointing to notice that numerous contest stations from
Region 1 violated their national regulations by transmitting out of
band during last weekends' CQ World Wide 160-Meter SSB Contest. While
I can have some understanding that the IARU bandplan for top band is
not followed during this major contest, I totally disagree that
contest stations transmit outside bands allocated to the amateur
service. For a station transmitting in LSB on 160 meters this is
below 1813 kHz (for transceivers with carrier readout).

The amateur service has always been known as a self regulating
service, which has helped us in our negotiations with
administrations. A behaviour as shown last weekend will certainly not
help us in the future. I call upon all contesters to reinstate our values.

Hans Blondeel Timmerman, PB2T
IARU Region 1 President"

Comment from IARU R1 president on applicability of IARU band plans to
actual activity on the bands: very good.

Such high profile comment on amateurs operating completely out of the
band: not good at all.

For those who aren't following this at all, there is no allocation to the
amateur service in ITU R1 below 1810 kc.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.