[CQ-Contest] 80M phone split

(N0AH) Bryon "Paul" Veal bryonveal at msn.com
Thu Mar 11 20:26:26 PST 2010

Good comment on the split issue.........All because the band/subband
allocations change over time doesn't mean the DX windows do- thus, the need
for working split exist for  a lot of traditional reasons and get amplified
in a contest. Local QRM/QRN is amazing depending where you are operating. I
operated from 3DA0AX and F5/N0AH and found running SSB split was the only
possible way to find clear frequencies on either side of the ponds for
successful long distant contest QSO's.  Unfortunately, the traditional DX
windows certainly seem to be degrading with various popular digital modes in
the middle of the CW and SSB DX windows.  And of course, I know all of the
EU's listening up on the farm frequencies during a contest is a pain but
what a time to figure out split and have fun!