[CQ-Contest] Something we need to remember

Bob AD5VJ ad5vj at ad5vj.com
Mon Mar 29 15:40:18 PDT 2010

> Do non-contesters complain about the sun when a Class-X solar flare
> wipes out the spectrum for an hour or so?

I hate to say it but most of the Ham population doesn't know what just
happened at all because the general ham public does not know anymore or keep
up with any propagation nor have they attempted to understand it or learn
about propagation.

They studied the questions and passed the test
And now 'I are a Ham'.

This is also where many complaints come from in arguments about 'we were
here first'. The truth is all the stations were probably there all along and
until the argument just couldn’t hear each other. But they don’t seem to get
that part of Ham radio. Propagation changes continuously on the bands and
much of the community has been dumbed down with irrelevant testing, lack of
mentoring, poor club presentations and just don’t understand that we don’t
live in a on off digital world in ham radio --- here there is very little
that is black and white analogue never is.

>Contesters have an extremely bad name with the balance of the Ham
>community. When a contest is on it seems to bring out
>the "to heck with you, I am going to do what I want."
> attitude. As long as I can be heard I care
> not for what you are doing.

I haven’t seen the official independent survey results so I don’t know about
the validity of 'the balance of the ham community' allegation.

I was around 14.300 and heard a station moved by an assistant net control
operator away from the Maritime Mobile Net. Immediately after being asked to
move since he was about 1.3 khz away from 300 he immediately moved.

Since I listen to the MM net many days I moved there to see the results of
his moving. They only complained abt him being there and never once talked
abt how great and considerate he was that he did.

I am glad he moved and so he should have - as I believe he did the right
thing and *must add* without argument.

I was also around 40 meters in the advanced and extra portion quite a bit
and heard a QSO that went on during the entire contest on the same frequency
for quite some time and without any interruption to it that I could detect
as I tuned up and down the band many times doing search and pounce (S&P).
Each time I passed through they were still talking about verticals, tractors
and guns as though they had been there forever without interruption.

Old ideas are hard to break. Once a mindset has taken over (this one being
that contesters don’t care) it will take a while to break it (if it ever
does get broken) not our responsibility to break it just ours to do the
right thing as we know it to be according to common sense.

All we can do is what we know is right. Most of the contest community are
considerate operators and humble.

But there are 'the few', but then the rag chewers have 'the few' also.

As far as the comment 'are we responsible if someone else has less filtering
than we do' - the answer is of course no. But I do believe we should still
consider them and give them some space, just as a matter of course of doing
the right thing.

73 to all
Bob AD5VJ