[CQ-Contest] Contest QTH

Denis Pochuev - K7GK k7gk at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 11:02:18 PDT 2010

Pete,

The exact formula for the angle you described is

atan((h_t - h_a)/d_f), where h_t is the height of the terrain in feet, h_a is the height of the antenna in feet and d_f is the distance in feet.

I like a neat ballpark estimate (accurate within about 10%) of (h_t-h_a)/(d_m*100), where h_t and h_a are the same as above, d_m is distance in miles and the result is in degrees.

For instance if in your example the height of the antenna is 50 ft, the exact formula would give us atan((500-50)/15*5280) = 0.325 deg, the estimate gives ((500-50)/15*100) = 0.3 deg.

73, Denis - K7GK