[CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests

K1TTT K1TTT at ARRL.NET
Fri May 28 03:28:07 PDT 2010

>From 2 different messages:

> Until it gets to the point, if it ever does, that code readers can post
> winning scores, I think it's a good thing.

It takes much more than just decoding code to post a winning score.  The
code reader is just one more tool to help operators in a contest, just like
code senders, greyline maps, computer logging, automatic rotors, band
decoders and automatic switches, auto tune amps, etc.  none of them alone
can post a winning score, it still takes the brains of an operator to
coordinate everything and make decisions.

> Why even bother to get into a technical hobby if you don't want to invest
> the time to learn?

When I have the time to invest I may take on the challenge of automating a
contest station.  Tying together all the pieces it takes to operate a whole
contest to even be slightly competitive is definitely a technical challenge
worthy of today's computer savvy generations.  Just because someone finds a
way to make contesting more enjoyable and easier on their ears doesn't mean
it's a bad thing, we have all been doing that for years... if we didn't want
to do that we would still be logging on paper and sending with straight
keys!  Just try to do that in today's environment and see how far you get.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net