[CQ-Contest] Did you record your CQWW contest effort?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Nov 3 14:42:22 PDT 2010

I'm sure there are a bunch of them out there, (I have a few) but the
problem is sheer size.  A 96-khz bandwidth Skimmer I/Q recording of one
band consumes approximately 2 GB an hour, or roughly 20 DVDs for a
48-hour contest.  When a few of us recorded the CQ 160 contest, at the
request of the CQ committee, we actually wound up sending in hard drives
by mail - even bit-torrent was too slow. Skimmer Server does not have a
recording function, because Alex was concerned about the probable effect
of "bursty" disk access on the performance of the 7-band decoder.

And yes, Rocky should replay Skimmer I/Q recordings just fine - Skimmer
itself also has a very nice play function.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com