[CQ-Contest] SS CW question

Robert Brandon rb at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 11:40:27 PST 2010

I had probably 8-10 guys omit their call from the exchange.  If you're
expecting it as a "sync bit" (like "5NN") it really throws you off.

So, we're all in the choir on this reflector, right?  But if I ever were to
offer some operating tips to an SS participant, here's my top ten peeve list
for CW contests:

10.  Pleasantries -- I quick "GL" or something is okay, but please keep it
short.

9.  Correcting your call before sending the exchange -- I need to know I got
your call wrong.  But in SS, if I botch your call, I'll get it right when
you send it in the exchange.

8.  My call -- Unless you're specifically concerned at that moment that a
guy who's close to me might think you're working him, I'd prefer you not
send my call.

7.  Sending by hand -- No computer? No CW interface? Even if you send the
serial number by hand, a memory keyer for the rest would make it easier on
both of us. If you do send by hand, please don't hurry. Shortened spacing
isn't really faster and really makes it hard to copy

6.  Portable, mobile, or QRP indicators -- In a contest, I'd prefer you
shorten your call as much as allowed by law.

5.  Non-standard exchange -- If the rules say you must send your own call
(or signal report), or send the exchange in a particular sequence, please do
so.  Odds are, I'm multi-tasking (looking at the rate meter, opening a soda,
and thinking about a band change, etc.), so please don't hand me a square
peg.

4.  Cut numbers -- It sounds like a good idea, but it's just not standard
practice except for signal reports and power levels in ARRL DX.  If you send
"ANT4" as a serial number, you'll get a resounding "Huh?" from me.  Also, in
marginal conditions, cut numbers provide fewer error checking bits.

3.  Leading zeros -- It slows things down.  And in marginal conditions, it
can confuse things.  "Was that a 1, or a leading zero?"

2.  Changing what you send in a fill -- If I'm struggling to get a fill,
please keep sending it the same way.  I may be 90% certain I've got it.  If
you change "MI" to "MICH" and I only get "CH" that time, I'm back to zero.

And number one . . .

1.  Repeats -- The SS exchange is long enough, and there's a snarling pack
of other ops ready to steal my run frequency.  So please just send things
once.  It's faster, and I might well get it.  If I don't get it, I'll ask
for a repeat and we can go back and forth as needed.  That keeps my loud
signal on the air and helps me hold my frequency.

BTW, dupes only makes honorable mention on my SS list.  Sure it would be
nice if everyone looked up the rules, but SS is rare in allowing only one
QSO on any band.

Robert K5PI