[CQ-Contest] Thoughts on SS CW

km9m-zig at comcast.net km9m-zig at comcast.net
Tue Nov 9 08:40:34 PST 2010

Another running of the ARRL November CW Sweepstakes,

another return of the contest lawyers interpreting the rules to their liking..

If someone uses a database to fill exchanges and  or a CW  reader.. So what.. who/ what is it hurting?

(maybe someone  is a weak C W op, but has been either prodded to participate by a club or  friends,  or

decided "Hey, I might try this and see what all the chatter is about  this thing called SS is all ab out?")

Shouldn't we as contesters be encouraging people to get on the air, to participate in these contests,

and to play fair and ethically? They'll probably learn as time goes on that they can copy code with practice

better than most, if not all readers, and that data bases are not 100% correct, and/or the information can change.

But those that choose to save time by not sending the complete exchange, or those who choose to send

the exchange "they" want to for whatever reason, are willingly violating the rules, and the spirit of the rules .

What's next: rubber clocking, c luster  entries submitted as S/O, run HP and submit QRP ?

I'd be willing to bet the crowd that can't remember the year 1st licensed has it written down on the 1st page of their paper logbook, and could even provide a n accurate wea ther report of the day their license showed up in the mailbox.

Maybe this thread will die off before SS SSB... one can only hope for a break before it all starts up again.

73,

Zig - KM9M