[CQ-Contest] Omitting callsigns in echanges

Doug Smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 08:38:02 PST 2010

> Your exchange is based on an ARRL radiogram header and has FIVE parts:

For this specific reason, SS is unique.  The originating station's callsign is part of the header of a formal radiogram; the message could not be
handled properly without it.

Much of the origin of the SS exchange is gone.  We're no longer expected to formulate an actual message; basically, we're sending a series of empty
e-mails by radio!  Still, given the history of the contest, I don't think it's right to suggest that the sending station's callsign is redundant and
should be removed from the exchange.  It's simply part of what makes SS SS and not the NAQP.

Personally I don't feel strongly one way or the other about DQing anyone who doesn't send it.  Out of 400 QSOs, I had *one* who didn't send his call
in the exchange.  I do think it threw off the rhythm a bit, and (not wanting to test my software's exchange parser *during* the contest) I had to read
his call out of the callsign window & retype it into the exchange window.  IMHO not sending your callsign in the exchange greatly increases the chance
someone will need to ask you for a fill.  Whether you get DQd for it or not (and again, I really don't care) I do think it's a bad idea.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66