[CQ-Contest] CQ WW Update

Bob Naumann W5OV at W5OV.COM
Wed Nov 24 05:48:36 PST 2010

The focus of this discussion has been directed at the least important part
of the announcement.

The most important part is:

*Remote skimmers (beyond the 500m station circle) are *not permitted for any
category,*

Remote skimmers in this context being "private" or deployed by one station
in any category for its own use which would violate the 500m circle rule.
Again, the point is that remote stuff is not permitted!!!

I think it is fair to conclude that the listing of RBN is intended to be as
a generic example - it is not exclusionary of other similar technology
"public" spotting network systems.

I also think that the initial wording was chosen and intended to be generic
without knowledge that by listing RBN was using a "brand name" and conveyed
the exclusionary permission of only one specific spotting network.

Let's try re-wording it this way:

C. Remote skimmers (beyond the 500m station circle) are not permitted for
any category,
except for a Reverse Beacon Network (RBN or similar publicly available
aggregated skimmer-like system spotting network).
Utilization of an RBN (or similar publicly available aggregated skimmer-like
system) is permitted for all Multi-Operator
classes as well as for the Single Operator-Assisted categories ONLY. If you
are a single op entry and access
a Reverse Beacon Network (or similar publicly available aggregated
skimmer-like system), you MUST submit your log as ASSISTED.

I'm confident that is what the announcement was intending to convey and I
hope that helps.

73,

Bob W5OV