[CQ-Contest] Best SS exchange yet!

hgreeb at one.net hgreeb at one.net
Wed Nov 24 09:11:42 PST 2010

When I was a novice and then general, back in the sp*rk daze, there was a
fellow in zero land who was given WØSOS - yup, SOS!  He used it for
several months before the FCC sent him a new call and they apologized for
the error of their ways.

When I first got n8xx in early 1978 folks accused me of being a pirate,
because there were no "n" calls, and "x" calls were reserved for the
experimental class licensees.  Once I was using it on a local repeater
where I typically didn't operate - folks kept asking me about it, so I
made up a story about buying the rig at a local truck stop along I-75, the
fellow selling it told me to listen a while, and use "n8xx" as my call
letters.  I was very careful to identify correctly every 9 minutes.  This
dragged on for quite a while - the troops were even organizing a DF hunt
for "this impostor."  Finally, a control op came on, and asked "is that
you, Hank?" - to which I replied, "Yup, why did you spoil everyone's fun?"
 But, I was about to ID with my real name to call off the impending fox
hunt. :)

n8xx was used by a radioclub to which I belonged during a Phone DX
contest, (February or March 1978 I believe). The folks who operated the
club station said it was sometimes like being on the DX end of a pileup.
I probably could have applied for DXCC had I sought the QSL cards.  They
kept dribbling in for months afterward.  I only replied to the folks who
sent me cards.

73 de n8xx Hg