[CQ-Contest] Frustration this weekend.....

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 13:47:56 PST 2010

I am of the opinion that it is bad form to use non-IDing to thin a pileup.

A much better way is to go back to a caller who is slightly off your
frequency. Once the crowd, or at least the intelligent part of the crowd,
figures out that zero beating everyone else in the pileup doesn't work so  well,
you'll have thinned out, or at least spread out, the crowd. And with that
you can hear and work people.

Note that sliding a bit off frequency is often a very effective way to
break a big CW pileup. I used it a lot this weekend (and every other time I
need  to bust pileups).

Limited non-IDing is a perfectly fine way to speed up a pileup. IMHO three
qsos is the maximum between IDs. I also find it good to ID after a QSO that
 required a fill, involved a slow/poor operator, etc. The ID serves to get
the  rhythm back to the run.

Some slack in the above may be granted if your call is PJ5/SP6IXF, rather
than C5A.

73  -  Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 11/30/2010 4:21:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,