[CQ-Contest] [wrtc2010] WRTC 2014 Team Selection Criteria

Rich K2WR k2wr at njdxa.org
Tue Oct 5 11:43:58 PDT 2010

In the interest of civility, I'm disappointed at the strong language already directed at K1TO over the selection criteria just announced for WRTC 2014.  Setting selection criteria is a no-win game for the person(s) doing the setting, and I think, at the very least, that everyone should give Dan, and those he worked with, the benefit of having been willing to let a big target get put on their backs.

The criteria had to get approved by the Sanctioning Committee, which includes considerable international membership, so it's not as if Dan just pulled this out of the air.

With regard to single-band efforts and weighting, I think it's generally reasonable for those putting on the event to get to make the rules.  As long as the criteria are the same for everyone and do not blatantly favor any particular part of the world, complaints this early tend to take on the aspect of "how do these criteria affect MY plans?"

If you know three years in advance of the selections that your chances of surviving the process are improved by emphasizing all-band efforts, then your most advantageous course of action is clear.  Everyone is subject to the same rules.

I guess I'll put my own flame suit on now.

Rich