[CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap

RT Clay rt_clay at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 21 08:53:38 PDT 2010

--- On Thu, 10/21/10, BobK8IA at aol.com <BobK8IA at aol.com> wrote:

> From: BobK8IA at aol.com <BobK8IA at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap
> To: xdavid at cis-broadband.com, cq-contest at contesting.com
> Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 6:49 AM
> Dave,
>
> >From a "assisted vs unassisted query", why would this
> be any different than
>  getting info of a stations presence from a bandscope,
> panadapter etc?
> You're substituting a blip on a bansdscope vs an asterisk
> on a bandmap.
>
> Granted, with some radios it is easier to change to the
> proper freq via a
> bandmap, but not all.
>
> Seems perfectly legal for unassisted operation to me.

Does not seem legal to me with current rules if you take the frequencies from a remote source (telnet). Blips on a bandscope are fundamentally different from frequencies taken from telnet: For example, with what you suggest, you could take DX spots from a skimmer in Europe during a 160m contest. That way you would know where the EU DX stations  are on the band even before the band opened to you in North America. In such a contest that would be a huge advantage even if it didn't include callsign information.

On the other, just marking signals on the bandmap from your local receiver (with no cw decoding) is fine, I currently do that.

Tor
N4OGW