[CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Oct 21 12:13:49 PDT 2010

Good point.

So, in your opinion, would it be legal for unassisted operation to use
my own private local CW Skimmer (in conjunction with a Softrock, SDR-IQ,
QS1R, etc) operating in normal mode to telnet spots to the N1MM bandmap if:

1.  the CW Skimmer window was minimized so that I couldn't see it

and

2.  N1MM was configured to replace the decoded callsigns with an asterisk

To clarify my objective here, I'm merely trying to come up with a way to
step through recognizable signals from a panadapter using the keyboard
with N1MM always remaining the active window.  I own an Elecraft K3 with
two receivers, and the idea would be to operate SO2V running with VFO A
while hunting mults or unworked stations using VFO B without having to
take my hand off the keyboard (such as having to reach over to tune the
VFO B knob on the K3).  Making stepped frequency changes on VFO B from
N1MM is already possible, of course, but doing so in small enough
increments to home in on a station is slow ... it takes a lot of tapping
on the arrow keys.  Being able to step through known signals would be
much more efficient.

There is another way to accomplish a similar thing, at least for CW, but
it's pretty clumsy.  I hacked the configuration file used by OmniRig,
the application that CW Skimmer uses to actually communicate with the
rig, to have it control VFO B instead of VFO A on the K3.  I set CW
Skimmer to Blind Mode, and then created two AutoHotKey scripts (assigned
to keyboard keys not used by N1MM) to:

a.  query Windows to find the unique six digit hex window identifier
code for whichever N1MM window I may be in at the time
b.  jump from that N1MM window to the CW Skimmer window
c.  simulate an UpArrow or DownArrow keypress (CW Skimmer has the
capability to step through identified signals in it's own bandmap)
d.  jump back to whichever N1MM window was found by step a).

It works, and it's actually pretty fast.  I can step through whatever
signals CW Skimmer is showing on its waterfall, and if I'm willing to
open up the bandwidth on VFO B I can even use CW SKimmer this way in its
3KHz Audio mode ... no SDR hardware required at all.   CW Skimmer
acquires new signals almost immediately so it increments the frequency
and populates the new portion of its bandmap by the time I hit the
AutoHotKey keys again.

Disadvantages of the AutoHotkey approach:

1.  Only works for CW
2.  Requires a different script for each model of rig and would be
clumsy for most people to set up
3.  Stops at every blip on the screen whether it is a station or not.
CW Skimmer is pretty sensitive and will display QRN bursts, off
frequency key clicks, etc.  In Blind Mode, CW Skimmer makes no attempt
to sort any of that out.
4.  CW Skimmer zero beats almost too well.  I usually prefer to listen
to VFO A (my run frequency) in both ears, and listen to VFO B in my
right ear.  I found, however, that CW Skimmer increments to the next
station so accurately that I was hearing the exact same CW tone from
both VFOs and it was hard to mentally keep them separate.  I had to
switch to VFO A in left ear and VFO B in right ear to keep from going crazy.

All in all, I think it would be nice and so much simpler ... IF
determined to be legal for unassisted operation ... to have N1MM be
capable of displaying blind spots.

73,
Dave   AB7E