[CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Mon Oct 25 15:41:05 PDT 2010

On 25/10/2010 22:19, vk4ti at yahoo.com wrote:

> PROGRESSIVE . . . with knowledge abreast of science, well-built and
 > efficient station and operation above reproach. - radio amateurs code
 > from 1928..

This is the old "all technology is good" argument once again.
It has been refuted many times.

> Without CW decoders over 50% of the cannon fodder that makes  up > contest QSO's would not exist and without mandatory CW testing
 > that number will rise.

I have claimed that the use of decoders reduces CW to the status
of "just another data mode", and have given my reason for making
that claim.  Is your statement a response to this claim?  If not,
what is it?

> We are having an ongoing clash between what is "historic" and
 > ethical under todays technology.

It is nothing of the sort.  It is a discussion, or review, of
which technologies are relevant to which class of entry in
contesting and, I believe, of which technologies undermine
the basis for the continued existence of amateur radio as a
separate Radio Service (in the sense of the ITU definitions).

> You will notice that the majority of the Asian contests allow
> Skimmer , spotting etc

Does that mean, by definition, they are "progressive" in
amateur-radio terms?

 > etc - are we in danger of becoming a relic of the past

Amateur radio is a legacy hobby (indeed, a relic of the
past if you prefer that description) just as sailing is
a legacy hobby.  In each case, competitive enthusiasts
use advanced technologies, but not to change the fundamental
nature of their respective activities.  Do I have to spell
it out further?

> I applaud K3LR's use of Skimmer technology in the server  format
 > and the great work by Pete Smith with the Reverse Beacon Network

I do too - the combination of technologies brings a measure of
democracy by comparison to earlier cluster/internet spotting
networks - where spots are granted at the whim of others.

> SKIMMER WILL WORK WITH WINDOWS 98 !!!

What's your point?  I know lots of applications that work
with Windows 98.

 > I really believe great CW decoders will keep CW on the bands
 > when we are all pushing up daisies..

It may look like CW, and it may sound like CW, but the QSOs
will not be CW QSOs without understanding by ear, in real-time.
As such, CW will have attained the nirvana of just another
data mode.

73,
Paul EI5DI