[CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Fri Aug 5 14:32:39 PDT 2011

I think it's a far stretch to compare the awarding of an award on merit by
an organization as being the cause of vast paranoia on behalf of a vocal
minority of active amateurs.

It is one thing for the DXCC desk (and now by extension, the Field card
Checkers) to examine submitted cards to determine if the award has actually
been earned.  That's comparable to the Contest Committee comparing submitted
logs to attempt to verify if claimed QSOs actually took place.

To use a phrase uttered earlier today in this discussion... that's what I'd
classify as, or consider "Trust -- But Verify."  And I see no problem with
that.

Further, the security of Logbook of the World is a different issue.  That
also has nothing to do with the paranoia of those shouting "Someone else
MUST have cheated!" And personally, if it's that offensive to you, I for one
have no problem providing similar documentation to the League for LotW
access if accessed.

Let's not go off on tangents, though.  The issue is, IMHO, the new demand
that now the UBN reports MUST be made public, on top of everything else.

When will this end?  What will it take to satisfy these unreasonable demands
for scrutiny?  Will we as contesters be required to put a webcam in our
shacks and expose ourselves to the world for 24 or 48 hours, to the whim of
any voyeur who seems to find some reason to watch me operate a radio in
shorts and a T-shirt?

Enough!